Weeds seem to be a major problem in several people’s lawns. However, if a lawn is properly cared for there should be no reason for chemical applications. There are a few key points to keep your lawn healthy and weed free.
Proper mowing techniques are important
- Never remove more than one third of the leaf’s surface. This amount of clippings decomposes quickly and adds nutrients into the soil. Removing any more than one third will lead to thatch buildup.
- Try to avoid mowing when it is too wet
- Mow in different directions each time you mow. Mowing in the same direction each time can cause compaction, which weeds LOVE.
- Keep mower blades sharp!
Fertilizing helps keep lawns weed free
1. In mid-April and mid-June it is good to fertilize with high nitrogen. Nitrogen encourages leaf growth and gives it a rich green color.
- Established lawns do not require water daily. When you walk across the grass and your foot print remains in the grass your lawn is lacking water. During the heat of the summer a lawn requires about 1-2 inches of water per week.
Fire Belly is an all organic fertilizer for the eco-friendly. Click here to learn about and buy Fire Belly today!
All Down is an organic herbicide that is proven to be as effective, if not more, than RoundUp at controlling weed infestations. Click here to learn more!
All Guard organic orchard and garden spray naturally repels insects and keeps them away from plants and trees. Click here to learn more!
Clear Choice is a convenient, easy-to-use selective herbicide that uses microtechnology to reduce the active ingredient required and kills over 60 broadleaf weeds without harming lawns. Click here to learn more!