Broadleaf Plantain is a broadleaf perennial that tolerates many conditions such as; dry, wet, heavy soil, and low mowing height. The leaves can either be green or purplish. They are normally oval or egg shaped. Broadleaf plantain flowers from its base in the summer months. It is normally found June through September.
- Apply our reduced risk selective herbicide, Clear Choice, without harming your lawn! Clear Choice contains only .07% chemical. It is extremely effective on over 60 different weeds! It also contains Trimec which is very effective on killing broadleaf plantain.
- A pre-emergent herbicide can be applied in early spring before the broadleaf plantain seeds germinate. Use an isoxaben-based, pre-emergent herbicide to treat broadleaf plantain.
- If you do not control the broadleaf plantain before it seeds spray the seedlings with 2, 4- Dichlorophenoxyacetic acid. This will control broadleaf plantain only when it is young.
- If the broadleaf plantain is already mature there is another option. Use a glyphosate-based herbicide. Be sure to only spray the plantain and no other vegetation.
Hand Pulling is a great technique if broadleaf plantain is in small quantities. Try to remove as much of the root system as possible. You may need to moisten the ground before trying to remove the weed.
- If you maintain a vigorous lawn it will prevent broadleaf plantain seeds from germinating and spreading. Fertilizing and maintaining a balanced pH will help accomplish a vigorous lawn. Test your pH with a soil pH tester. BUY
- If your lawn is compacted it may need to be aerated. This allows oxygen, water, and nutrients to reach the roots. It also allows the root system to grow which produces a much more vigorous lawn. Call today for a quote on getting your lawn aerated!
- Apply a thin layer of organic material to your soil! It may not be appealing but it will not be visible within a few days. However, it will reduce compaction, thatch, and adds nutrients to the soil.
- Another option is AllDown non-selective organic herbicide. Use AllDown when temperatures are between 65 and 80 degrees and when no rain is in the forecast. You will begin to see immediate results! Buy AllDown Now